Gnomes2Roam

Gnomes2Roam
My Gnomes

Saturday, February 28, 2015

An Envelope for a Skinny


A Skinny is a bit of art similar to an ATC but instead of being 2 1/2" by 3 1/2" it is 3" by 5". ATCs have commercially made pockets for the artist to slip their work into to protect them. No such thing for a Skinny so I started making pockets for them. I gave my pockets a pleat so that 3D art work has more room. Here is how I did it. (all measurements are in inches)

For my cover I chose scrapbook paper 5 1/2 by 9 3/4.
Scored it at the 3 1/4, 6 3/4, and 8 1/4 and folded all the score lines into mountains.
I have also used light weight card stock. Anything that does not crack when bent will do.
For the pocket I used a piece of heavy drawing paper 6 by 11 1/4.
I scored it at 3 and 8 1/4 then turned it and scored the length of it at 3
 and folded all the score lines into mountains.
I cut away parts from the ends so it looked like this and added a valley fold that bisected the end angles.
I glued A to AA and B to BB.


This is what it looked like. The pleat gives anything 3D plenty of room.

I folded the short edge of my cover over and secured it with glue to make a sturdy flap.
Next I glued the pocket into the cover centering the 5 1/4 on the 5 1/2 and making sure the
back of the pocket sat against the score line of the cover
Now all you do is tuck in your Skinny. You can add a bit of string, ribbon,
thin lace or even a fancy paperclip to hole it closed.
Lishmo, who inspired this, used a tiny clothes pin. Her pocket was an altered  paper bag.



After sending off my 1st Skinny naked I determined this was much nicer and it adds a bit of flair to my work. I hope my swap partners like them as much as I do.
(If you decide to make one of these and need help, just shoot me a message.)

No comments:

Post a Comment